The Best Practice Guide for URLs
URLs form the basic building block of every business that has a web presence. The structure of a URL matters a lot to SEO. Here is a list of best practices that one can consider when creating a URL.
- The most important advice from Google is to keep your URL structure simple and readable. The URL should include sentences and words that are logical and readable for human beings rather than confusing numbers and letters. This helps in a URL being remembered easily in case one needs to type it or refer offline.
- It is advisable to make your URL in lower case letters. If you have a UR in capital letters, convert them into lower cases, an exception being when you have different pages of the same name.
- To increase readability of URLs, use punctuation marks such as hyphens instead of using underscores.
- Until a URL makes sense to the human brain, it can continue to have stop words such as a, an etc.
- A good SEO practice is to ensure that the keywords for the page are near the front of the URL. However, it still needs to be readable and not just stuffed keywords.
- It is not necessary to match your headline with that of the URL. In fact, varying the headline from the URL gives it a chance to be more concise.
- It is better to use a single domain or a subdomain. The chances of a blog performing better if it is altogether on a root or one subdomain. The Rankings of such blog are also suggested to go higher.
- It is a good practice to use verb stem in URLs. For instance, instead of using the term 'smearing', the term 'smear' should be used.
- Avoid using overly complex URLs with multiple parameters. This can cause an issue with Googlebot since there will be too many URLs with similar content.
Google recommends these solutions to fixing URL issues.
- Use a robots.txt file such as dynamic URLs or URLs generating search results to block Googlebot's access to few URLs.
- Trim unnecessary parameters to shorten URLs
- Add a no follow attribute to links so that dynamically future calendar pages are ceased, if you have an infinite calendar to your site
- Broken relative links often cause hindrance. Check your sites for such links
The above tips were collected from various resources. If you need more advice on how we can help you with your Digital Marketing Strategy and Campaigns then contact us today.